Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You?


Seven Years ago today, the entire world stood still, held its breath and watch as the most devastating and dramatic terrorist attack in modern history unfolded before our very eyes.


As with the bombing of Pearl Harbor was to the Lost Generations and the Kennedy Assassination was to the Baby Boomers, X-ers and Y-ers now ask "where were you when..."


Today is a day of reflection, remembrance and prayers. I will share my story, but this is really about you and your stories and thoughts. Where were you?


Please post.


I was in Denver, Colorado attending a week-long seminar for my job and I was to head home Tuesday, September 11th. My plane was scheduled to take off at 730 in the morning, Mountain Time. I was standing in the baggage check line, groggy with my carry-on over my shoulder, my suitcase in one hand, a Starbucks in the other.


I remember on the right side of the cue was a row of television screens which showed arrivals and departures; on the left side, a row of televisions were playing The Today Show. I was making small conversation with an elderly woman in front of me - chatter about how early it was, did the sun really come up that early, we need stronger coffee. I don't recall her name.


At approximately 6:55, the man behind me uttered under his breath, something similar to "Just what I need to see before I get on a plane." He pointed to the left t.v's with images of the North Tower of the World Trade Center in NYC drenched in smoke.


No one thought terrorism. No one thought anything other than an accident, or at worst, a drunken pilot.


We stood there, watching occasionally.


Twenty Minutes after the first tower was hit, the elderly woman in front of me screamed - literally screamed - and I looked up in time to see the South Tower engulfed in flames.


I was fully awake now and all I could do - all we all could do - was stand there with our mouths agape. After a few minutes, I looked over to the right t.v.s and saw the itineraries of incoming and outgoing flights all read "delayed" as every flight in America got out of the air; no one was going anywhere.


Getting home was a chore and I will save that for another day. But as I remembered, I prayed that day, as I do today, for the lives that were lost and the families who were left behind.


Though we can may debate the outcome of what happened that day or the correct way to retaliate - or even about retaliation itself - though we may be desensitized now, we may be angry, we may be numb - though we may be more spiritual or less, more patriotic or less, more cynical or less, more afraid or less - we pause to remember those who were lost on the day America changed forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a college student living in the dorms when it all happened.

While getting ready for my first class of the day, I could hear Tom Brokaw's voice up and down the hallway. "Brokaw is never on at this time in the morning. What's going on?" I thought to myself. One of the girls on my floor is always watching the news, so I knocked on her door to see if she knew what was going on. The look on her face was utter terror. "Jess, what's wrong? What's going on?" I knew that fear was starting to creep into my voice. She never said a word. She simply pulled me into her room and pointed towards the television.

The first tower had already fallen.

I was waiting for someone to say "Gotcha!" or something along those lines. My eyes couldn't make sense of the situation. I ran to my sister's dorm room (which happened to be next to mine) and started shaking her.

"Mic, wake up! Mic, you need to wake up now!"

Grogily she rolled over. "I don't have class today," she said as she pulled her blanket over her face.

"Mic, you have to turn on the TV! RIght now!"

"What channel?"

"It doesn't matter. Just turn it on!"

Grumble, grumble, grumble as she felt about for the remote. She clicked on the TV. And her jaw hit the floor.

The second tower was falling before our eyes.

I didn't know what to think anymore. My sister and I held each other, confused and scared.

We knew the world would never be the same.

Anonymous said...

You should hear Christopher Titus's story. His first daughter was two weeks old, and he was up with her, watching the news when it happened. He said he tried to put her back. Her mother wasn't happy.

-h

Anonymous said...

I had just opened my eyes and turned on the radio, and the only thing on was: a plane has just hit the world trade center. I thought this has to be a mistake, I hurried down stairs and turned on the tv. It was 8:05 ct. I saw the first tower go, then the second, and all the terrified people running. Tom Brokaw was covered in ashes, and seemed a little out of it. The A.S. sib